Sunday, August 3, 2008

Today Another Voice is Silent

The voice that many of us in the South and across the nation have heard call Braves games for many decades is now gone.  Skip Caray, 68, died today in his sleep.  I know from my childhood, I grew up listening to Skip, Pete and Joe call games on TBS and the Braves radio network.  While he never grew to have as much fame as his dad, he called games his own way often having great quips. He called the Braves for 33 years and his most famous call is probably that of Sid Bream's winning run against the Pirates in the 1992 NLCS.  I'll always love his naming random Atlanta suburbs for fans catching foul balls.  While he was probably done wrong by the Braves in his latter years by being relegated to radio and Peachtree TV instead of the TBS games, Skip was always a professional and called games with words that, even on the radio, made it seem exactly like you were there.  Every time I went to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium or Turner Field, I loved the experience, but always missed hearing Skip call games.  Skip's son Chip has been calling Braves games for awhile now and I'm glad that his father got to pass the torch to him and hopefully, he can become as good as his father was.  A consummate professional, I'll miss you Skip.  We all will.  

1 comment:

dayf said...

Dammit. That's terrible. All year long I knew he sounded sick on the broadcasts he did, but I didn't want to even think about it because I though he might get over it.

Dammit dammit dammit.